Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Who's your friend you likes to play? Bing Bong Bing Bong


Who would have thought that I would love teaching so much? It is so completely exhausting but so completely exhilarating at the same time. The students make everything so worth it! 

Me (practicum teacher):

Joy (every day I got to see my kiddos):
Today is going to be a wonderful day! Lots of memories to make, let's do this! 

Anger (when after trying everything, and they still don't want to learn...):
Will you just pay attention already? You are supposed to be learning right now, not tipping back in your chair or throwing things at your neighbor!!! Come on! I'm up here! 

Fear (on observation day and being evaluated):
Worst case scenario: I forget everything I am supposed to teach, the students are like a group of wild circus animals, I fail! Oh no no no, think positive. I'm positive I am going to fail!

Disgust (yep I think I was a pretty cool teacher):
Try to look cool! We will play Lava monster and bubble gum bubble gum in a dish with the students at recess! Yep I think that will earn us cool teacher points! Oh and lets not forget to dress cute every day!

Sadness (after leaving my kiddos, so so sad):
My life is horrible! You mean I have to leave them after all the fun we've had?! My life is over!

I really went through the whole range of motions during my practicum experiences. I taught first grade for my first practicum. The students were adorable and I found that they just wanted my attention every second of every day. And then you always have those days when no matter what you do, they are not going to listen and they are not going to pay attention. You are doing everything in your power to not look silly at the front of the classroom, but give up just so the students will pay attention. Staying up late every day planning and then waking up early, hoping the students will get something out of what you say. And when they all groan because they hate math, you make math seem like the coolest thing in the world that they could be doing right now! And then playing tag, Lava Monster, bubble gum bubble gum, playing pretend with them, learning together makes it all worth it. Just seeing their faces light up when they are excited about learning and having you as their teacher. This is why I went into teaching, to make a difference!

For my second practicum I taught fifth grade. To say I was terrified is an understatement. I mean look at me, I can pretty much blend in with them and be one of them! But in the end I absolutely loved it and them! The fifth graders are so funny! You have the teacher's pet who tries everything to get away with everything if you let him. Then you have a student that is in tears because they don't understand, and then to go over and talk them through it and see them smile again. You see the students believe in themselves because you believe in them! This is why I am a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment